Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

At first we thought we'd be at home just the two of us eating a turkey breast or something completely unrelated to Thanksgiving, but we ended up having a wonderful thanksgiving. It was still a weird day, instead of being of being at the farm and having everything closed,  everything was open and nobody was planning for the big meal. Steve still went to work and I did my normal daily stuff.

Since we've been here we have made some new friends from the States so we decided to pull together a Thanksgiving of our own. I will have to give most of the credit to our friend Sarah, her Belgian  friend offered to host (which is key since the rest of us live in little apartments) and she took on the task of finding and making a turkey. Making the traditional Thanksgiving meal is a little trickier here just because some of the food isn't as easily available. Steve and I were suppose to bring a dessert and green bean casserole. At first for dessert I was going to attempt a pumpkin pie, I couldn't find condensed milk or a pre- made pie crust( of course I wasn't going to make a crust from scratch), so then I found a recipe for an apple type dessert. All I'm going to say is that it came out terribly. It might have been because I put it in the oven during dinner, but then didn't hear the timer go off for several minutes after it went off. Need less to say we didn't eat any of that dessert, and instead spent several minutes making fun of it and listing all the people who wouldn't eat it like stray cats, dogs etc.

To make the green bean casserole, I had to go to two different grocery stores to find cream of mushroom soup and only by luck (and three grocery stores later) Steve able to find crispy onions. The funny thing is he found them in the Asian section. I've had a lot of Asian food in my life and I'm pretty sure I've never had crispy onions on anything.

The group was a lot of fun. Overall there were 11 of us. Nine of us from the States, six of the nine from Minnesota(what a small world). Missed our family and friends of course, but loved celebrating Thanksgiving and making new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment